Contact details of the responsible body
Responsible within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other national data protection laws of the EU member states as well as other data protection regulations for the online offer „Blog“ is:
University of Hamburg
Tel.: +49 40 42838-0
Fax: +49 40 42838-9586
Contact details of the data protection officer of the University of Hamburg
Objective and basic information on data processing
We process personal data of our users only in compliance with the relevant data protection provisions in accordance with the principles of data economy and data avoidance. It follows that the processing of personal data of our users regularly takes place only after the consent of the user. An exception applies in those cases in which the processing of the data is permitted by legal regulations.
We take organizational, contractual and technical security measures in accordance with the state of the art to ensure that the provisions of data protection laws are complied with and thus to protect the data processed by us against accidental or intentional manipulation, loss, destruction or against access by unauthorized persons.
If content, tools or other means of third-party providers (e.g. YouTube videos) are used within the scope of our online offer and their named registered office is abroad, it is to be assumed that a data transfer to the registered office states of the third-party providers takes place.
„User“ means all customers and visitors to our Website, which term shall be understood to be gender-neutral;
- „Website or Online Offer“ means, on an overarching basis, the content and functions contained on our Website and connected to the Website;
- „Third-party providers“ other providers that are different from us, whose content, tools or other means we use as part of our online offering and whose named registered office may be abroad. For example, video platforms such as YouTube are to be mentioned here.
1. Provision of the blog and creation of logfiles
With every call and every use of this blog, data and information are collected. This data and information is stored in log files of the server.
- IP address
- Information about the browser type and version used
- Date and time of access
- Internet service provider of the user
- Operating system of the user
- Websites from which the user’s system accesses our website
- Web pages that are called up by the user’s system via our website
The legal basis for the temporary storage of the data and the log files is Art. 6 Para. 1 e GDPR, i.V.m. § 4 HmDSG i.V.m. § 3 und 4 HmbHG..
The temporary storage of the IP address by the system is necessary to enable delivery of the website to the user’s computer. For this purpose, the user’s IP address must remain stored for the duration of the session.
Log files are stored to ensure the functionality of the website, to optimize the content of the website and to ensure the security of our information technology systems.
The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. In the case of the collection of data for the provision of the website, this is the case when the respective session has ended.
In the case of storage of data in log files, this is the case after 28 days at the latest. If the data is stored beyond this period, the IP addresses of the users are deleted or alienated so that it is no longer possible to assign the calling client.
The personal data will also be processed for the following purposes if there is a legal basis for doing so:
- the provision, execution, maintenance, optimization and safeguarding of our services, services and user services;
- ensuring effective customer service and technical support.
You can set your browser so that you are informed about the setting of cookies and only allow cookies in individual cases, exclude the acceptance of cookies for certain cases or in general and activate the automatic deletion of cookies when closing the browser. When deactivating cookies, the functionality of this website may be limited.
The legal basis for the processing of personal data using cookies is Art. 6 (1) lit. f GDPR.
The purpose of using technically necessary cookies is to simplify the use of websites for users.
3. SSL or TLS encryption
For security reasons and to protect the transmission of confidential content, such as orders or requests that you send to us as the site operator, this site uses SSL or TLS encryption.
You can recognize an encrypted connection by the fact that the address line of the browser changes from „http://“ to „https://“ and by the lock symbol in your browser line. If SSL or TLS encryption is activated, the data you transmit to us cannot be read by third parties.
4. Contact form and e-mail contact
Alternatively, it is possible to contact us via the e-mail addresses provided. In this case, the personal data of the user transmitted with the e-mail will be stored in the inbox. The data will not be passed on to third parties.
The legal basis for the processing of the data is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a GDPR if the user has given his consent.
The legal basis for the processing of data transmitted in the course of sending an e-mail is Art. 6 (1) lit. f GDPR.
The data will be used exclusively for processing the request. The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. For the personal data from the input mask of the contact form and those sent by e-mail, this is the case when the respective request of the user has ended.
Disclosure of data to third parties
1. Social media
YouTube with enhanced privacy
We use services of the provider YouTube for the integration of videos. YouTube is operated by YouTube LLC, 901 Cherry Avenue, San Bruno, CA 94066, USA. YouTube is represented by Google LLC. with headquarters at 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.
Clicking on „Activate video“ embeds an iframe with the provider’s content into the page. No content from the services is embedded or data is transferred before the user clicks.
When you activate the content, the operator of the social media platform receives the information that the respective page has been accessed, and personal data is also transmitted to the operator of the platform.
The legal basis for the processing of the data is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a GDPR.
By using YouTube, information about your use of this website (including your IP address) may be transmitted to and stored by YouTube (Google) on servers in the United States.
You have the following rights:
- the right to information regarding personal data pertaining to you that is stored by us (Article 15 GDPR);
- the right to correction of any incorrect or incomplete personal information (Article 16 GDPR);
- the “right to be forgotten”: erasure of stored personal data insofar as the relevant data are not necessary for the exercise of the right of freedom of expression and information, for compliance with a legal obligation, for reasons of public interest, or the purposes of establishing, exercising, or defending a legal claim (Article 17 GDPR);
- the right to limited processing of personal data (Article 18 GDPR);
- Right to data portability (Art. 20 GDPR);
- the right to object to the processing of your data conducted in our legitimate interest, public interest, or for profiling purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling grounds for processing said data that outweighs your interests, rights, and freedoms or where the processing of said data is required for the establishment, exercise, or defense of a legal claim (Article 21, GDPR);
- the right to withdraw your consent to the collection, processing, and use of your personal data at any time with future effect (Article 7 paragraph 3 GDPR)—this means that the data processing related to that consent will no longer be carried out;
- the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority where you believe the processing of personal data related to you is in breach of the GDPR (Article 77 GDPR)
2. Newsletter / Data procession by Mailchimp
In terms of registering for our newsletter we use services of the provider Mailchimp. If you would like to receive our Newsletter, you need to allow them to process your encoded data. Please find here the Data Processing Addendum.
Withdrawal of consent / objection to processing
Please send your withdrawal to:
Dr. Helge Schwiertz
Faculty for Social Sciences & Economics, Institute for Sociology
Tel.: +49 40 42838 6952
Rights as a data subject
You may exercise your rights as a data subject, such as obtaining information on data being stored, by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org